The Kofi Annan Foundation aims to promote better global governance and strengthen the capacities of people and countries to achieve a fairer, more secure world. To advance this mission the Kofi Annan Foundation has developed programmes and partnerships in Sustainable Development and Peace and Security.
The Foundation works with other organizations to promote food and nutrition security by empowering small holder farmers in Africa, and encouraging investment throughout the agricultural value chain. The Foundation also builds awareness and promotes policy and institutional development to achieve sustainable development in an era of climate change.
Peace and Security
The Foundation works in partnership with a number of organizations to identify the threats, driving forces and policy gaps that pose a threat to peace and security, and undermine good governance, the rule of law and respect for human rights. The Foundation provides substantive and technical assistance to Mr Annan in his role as the Chairman of the AU Panel of Eminent African Personalities, which continues to support the Kenya National Dialogue and Reconciliation process.
Values and Principles
The Foundation is guided by the following values and principles:
- The primacy of dialogue, tolerance and reconciliation as instruments for building and preserving peace within communities and between countries.
- Respect for human rights and the rule of law as the foundations of good governance and democratic accountability.
- The need to reduce hunger and poverty, and promote equality of opportunity to alleviate human suffering.
- The Foundation is prepared to take timely action on important and pressing issues based on careful research and analysis.
- The Foundation is non-partisan and serves as a neutral actor in conflict resolution activities.
- The Foundation works in close cooperation with other organizations, public or private, with proven competencies in order to advance its mission.
- The Foundation does not duplicate the effective efforts of others and only acts when there is a clear added value.
- The Foundation is an independent, not-for-profit organization under Swiss law.
- The Foundation is funded by a mix of public and private donors. Particular care is given to ensure that funding sources are beyond reproach and that contributions are politically untied.